Pages

Friday 28 August 2015

Turn a Dress into a Skirt

Being a mum nights out are rarely seen but with one penciled  in on the calendar it was time to start planning what to wear. It has to be a dress or a skirt but you open your wardrobe and you're faced with 'I've worn this one before' and 'Don't feel like wearing that one' 'I wore that last year time'  so whats a girl to do?

Buy a new dress? Buy a new skirt? Hmmmm... As much as I'd love to buy new clothes all the time money doesn't always allow and plus it's much more this way!

A little while ago I bought a black polka dot dress from Asda George, feel in love with the polka dot design and the waffle texture to it, wasn't overly keen on the neckline or sleeves but that set aside it was reduced to £5 so that deemed it a bargain which I had to have!



To turn it into a skirt follow these steps

1. Begin by laying your dress on the floor and mark out the waistline and cut across.


2. Put the top to one side as you'll need that later. Working on the skirt piece, turn it inside out and fold the waistband over a few times. My dress has a high percentage of elastic in it so I don't need to add any but if yours hasn't you'll need to thread some elastic through at this stage too.

 3. Take it to your sewing machine and you want to sew around the top edge and around the bottom edge.







4. On my skirt I added pockets cos I just love a skirt with pockets, they're so handy and I hate looking after a purse on a night out. To make these take the top part of the dress, turn inside out and lay flat. You basically want to cut out four pocket shaped pieces. I cut mine on the fold so I cut two.




5. Position these on the skirt where you'd like the pockets to be. I put them around the hip area. Cut a slit in your skirt the length of the pocket and pin around ready to sew. You're gonna need to do this inside out but make sure the pocket is the right way round. I made my pockets so they are printed inside.



6. Once you've gone around the opening you'll need to sew around the pocket to make the actual pocket.


7. Repeat this again for the other pocket, turn right side out and hey presto!


I added a belt over my waistband to finish it off. I think it looks fab!

C x



No comments:

Post a Comment